People keep asking me when they have to file as common law for tax purposes. When I called CRA to clarify, this is what the friendly phone person told me. “You have to file as common law when you have been living together for 12 months or when a couple (who share a home) have a baby together, or share custody of a child.

If you get married or become common law during the year, and you receive UCCB or GST/HST Credits, be sure to let the tax man know or expect to be asked to pay back over-payments.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *